In an attempt to clean out my Google Alerts, here is a “links dump” of accumulated knowledge:
- Munich 11 athlete inducted to Sports Hall of Fame(Jerusalem Post)
- Jewish parathlete from Australia recounts inspiring story here (London Jewish Chronicle)
- The Hot Corner Book Club, part of the Baseball Nation site, posted about Larry Ruttman‘s book on baseball & American Jews
- Author John Rosengren made a lot of buzz with his new bio on Hank Greenberg, including the Los Angeles Times, The Algemeiner, The Jewish Press, and The Voice News.
- With out release of the feature biopic 42, a number of media looked for ways to connect Jackie Robinson with the Jews, including this.
- Looks like the Mets won’t be looking to replace one MOT with another. According to this from the NY Post, they are not considering bringing up Josh Satin from AAA to take over for the flailing Ike Davis
- The Boston Red Sox sent Ryan Lavarnway back to AAA Pawtucket. Well, at least he got into a couple of games this time: 2-8, including a double, with two RBI in three appearances.
- For someone who’s played in only a handful of games, the Red Sox’s Ryan Kalish seems to generate more than his share of press.
- Longtime Jewish sportswriter Irwin Cohen recently released Jewish History in the Time of Baseball’s Jews: Life on Both Sides of the Ocean.
- Remember, the Maccabiah Games are just around the corner. Look for local papers, like the St. Louis Jewish Light, to start heralding their area’s representatives.
- Marc Tracy, co-editor of Jewish Jocks: An Unorthodox Hall of Fame, will lead a discussion on Wednesday, June 12, at 7 p.m., the Museum of Jewish Heritage — A Living Memorial to the Holocaust. Joining him will be Rich Cohen, author of Sweet and Low, and Mark Singer, staff writer at The New Yorker. Jewish Jocks was the winner of the National Jewish Book Award in the anthology category. Yasher koach.
- Omri Casspi, the beleaguered Cleveland Cavaliers forward, will play Eurobasket with Israeli NT.
- Sadly, there have been a number of anti-Semitic incidents in the soccer world:
And that’s it! All nice and empty.
So have a good holiday folks, see you next week.
Tags: Ike Davis, Omri Casspi, Ryan Kalish, Ryan Lavarnway