Going through the mailbox to clean up the dust-bunnies that accumulated during my trip to the SABR convention (more on which later).
* Maccabiah Games close in Jerusalem with Israel topping medal count (Cleveland Jewish News)
* After accident, athlete returns to Maccabiah triumphant (JWeekly.com)
* SoCal athletes find fulfillment at Maccabiah Games (Jewish Journal)
* For ESPN broadcaster, Maccabiah ends just as it was getting started (St. Louis Jewish Light)
* Ike Davis Is Batting .317 Since All Star Break, But… (MetsMerized)
* Ryan Braun, Disgraced Jewish Baseball Player? (ReformJudaism.org) Personally, although this is a shande and fodder for those anti-Semitic knuckleheads who live for this stuff, I think Braun’s religion is totally irrelevant. Few seem to bring that up for Andy Pettitte, a self-proclaimed Christian who admitted using HGH and testified at the trial of former teammate Roger Clemens.
* A pitch to report cyber hate (Jewish Week)
* Op-Ed: A Tisha B’Av Message for the All-Star’s (IsraelNationalNews) Still interesting, even though I overlooked posting this at the appropriate time.
* Ryan Braun is a Major League Baseball Star. So, Why Haven’t Jews Embraced Him? (Tablet) The same can be said for this piece, which fell through the cracks prior to Braun’s suspension.
* Listen to Gabe Carimi (JoeBucsFan)
* Carimi pushes for spot on Bucs line (Tampa Bay Times)
* Bucs OL coach helping Carimi with transition (Tampa Tribune)
* Tempers flare at Jets camp (Newsday re : Antonio Garay). To use the name of a regular Pardon the Interruption segment, “something or nothing?”
* Bengals’ strong safety position up for grabs? (NBCSports re: Taylor Mays)
* Schwartz faces ‘different’ pass-rush moves (ClevelandBrowns.com)
* Bears rookie punter faces daunting challenge (Chicago Tribune, re: Adam Podlesh)
* Mekel chooses to sit out EuroBasketl (Jerusalem Post)
* Israel national coach Arik Shivek blasts Mavericks for putting Gal Mekel in impossible situation (Dallas Morning News) Hey, at least it’s not a Yom Kippur dilemma thing.
* New Maverick Gal Mekel not worried about transition to the NBA: Basketball is basketball (Dallas Morning News) “A rose is a rose…”
* Growing up as the ‘Jewish Jordan’ (ESPN.com re: Tamir Goodman)
* Soccer star Lionel Messi visits Western Wall on ‘peace tour’ (JTA)
* Jews and Cricket (Jerusalem Post)Adam Podlesh, Antonio Garay, Gabe Carimi, Gal Mekel, Mitchell Schwartz, Ryan Braun, Tamir Goodman, Taylor Mays